Saturday 24 January 2015

Coconut Oil: My Beauty Saviour

One of my beauty staples all year round is coconut oil.


Not only does it help to promote a healthier you from the inside - keeping your heart healthy, aiding digestion, strengthening your immune system and helping to treat infections - but it also does great things on the outside too.


Below I've outlined my favourite beauty uses of coconut oil that I thought might be useful to you too - it really is a girl's best friend!

1 / Healthy, Shiny Hair

I love to use coconut oil as a deep conditioning treatment for my hair.
It's great for damaged or dry hair and being 100% natural means there is no alcohol or other chemicals in the mix.

How To:

I section off my hair and melt some of the coconut oil, then I apply it focusing on the driest areas of my hair (mainly the ends!).  I use it sparingly at the roots of my hair and on my scalp, as for me it can weigh my hair down.
Once it is all coated in oil I tie or clip it up and put a shower cap over it to help it really sink into the hair.  You can then leave the treatment on for as long as you like!  I either keep it on for 2-3 hours on a Sunday evening and then wash out or keep it in overnight (remember to put a towel down on your pillow) then wash out the next morning.
Make sure you really shampoo your hair well when washing out to make sure your hair isn't greasy or heavy.  I try to do this at least once a month and I really notice a different in my hair when I keep it up!

2 / Skin Saviour

Similar to dry hair, it really helps to counteract dry skin.  Mainly because of the protein, vitamin E and good fatty acids within coconut oil.

I use this on my face by rubbing a small amount into my hands, and it helps to soothe my skin and help inject some moisture - it also helps to balance out my dry skin and oily T zone.
I do this once a week and it's a great way of applying a gentle treatment to your face.

This is also great for removing any stubborn make up and can also be used on dry skin anywhere on your body. I don't think it works great on the rest of my body personally and I stick to my standard Soap & Glory moisturiser, but I do love the effects on my face.

3 / Shaving

Oh no! Have an emergency leg shaving situation and you're all out of shaving gel? No problem, coconut oil comes to the rescue!

It's great at keeping your legs moisturised while helping with the shaving process, just apply some to your legs (dry or wet) and remember to remove used oil from your razor between strokes.


Do you have any other beauty uses for coconut oil I could try out?
Let me know if you have tried any of these before!

Have a great weekend everyone ♥︎



2 comments:

  1. You've got a really nice blog! This article is great, I used coconut oil for my hair but never for my skin but I'll definitely try ♥
    Perhaps you can check out my blog thesisterblog21.wordpress.com
    ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Yeah it's great on hair isn't it?
      Will do!

      Delete