Saturday 17 October 2015

My Guide to San Francisco

One of the nicest cities I have ever visited, San Francisco has so much to offer yet has such a relaxed atmosphere.  My boyfriend and I spent 4 nights in this beautiful city and made some amazing memories - the sights, experiences and weather was great which made the perfect setting for time in the city.

Of course, one of the most amazing sights when visiting San Francisco is the Golden Gate Bridge.  There is something about the bridge in this gorgeous setting that makes it breathtaking.  We were lucky enough to experience the bridge twice, once on a gorgeous warm day and another on a foggy morning - when we first approached the bridge that day we couldn't even see it because of the mist!



Another great, unique part of the city is Lombard Street, it's known as the 'crooked street' with 8 hairpin turns and gorgeous flowerbeds and houses.  It was so exciting to take the classic Powell & Hyde cable car up to the top of the hill and walk your way down, getting to take great photographs from both angles.


While in San Francisco we were lucky enough to see a an NFL Kickoff concert in a square in the city, it was a gorgeous day and a relatively intimate concert with Train and Ellie Goulding!  It was such a lovely chilled out day after having a busy few days in the city - Train and Ellie Goulding always remind me of San Francisco now!  If you get the chance to experience any events in the squares in the city, enjoy and make the most of it.


A must see when you visit San Francisco is Alcatraz Island.  A prison housing inmates causing trouble in other prisons, one of the quotes I remember from my visit is, 'break the rules and you go to prison, break the prison rules and you go to Alcatraz', which pretty much sums it up! As much as the island is now a tourist attraction, it still feels so authentic and the audio tour is great, I'd highly recommend booking a night tour in advanced - really eerie and haunting!


One night of our trip I got kitted out in a Giants t-shirt and foam finger to enjoy a baseball game at AT&T Park, seeing a game here is a great experience and it's crazy seeing the stadium is right on the water!


Finally on our last day in San Francisco we decided to cycle across the Golden Gate Bridge and see the small waterfront city of Sausalito which is pretty beautiful!  The cycle along San Francisco and across the bridge was a great experience and really lets you see more of the city in the time you have.  Once we crossed the bridge and were taking some photos of the view back across to San Francisco, my boyfriend surprised me by asking me to marry him! It was such a special day and was lovely celebrating together in Sausalito on a waterfront balcony - with a Champagne or two of course!
It's a beautiful city with gorgeous buildings and houses so I'd recommending visiting if you get the chance.


I hope you found my guide useful if you're planning a trip to San Francisco, let me know if you'd like to know more or have any tips for when I return!   

♥︎

No comments:

Post a Comment